Thursday, February 4, 2010

Avatar

I went to see Avatar and spent a Sunday afternoon with a dear friend I hadn't seen in nearly a year. The film was inspiring, spiritual and we both enjoyed the entire 3D experience. The last time we had seen each other was the night before my Moms' memorial service last February. My friend came to the rosary and gathering  for my mother even though she was working and had a houseful of out of town guests. It meant so much to me to have her there. Good friends come through in the clinches.

She understands about losing someone dear, and the grief that ensues. You see, her brother was murdered by her niece. Her niece put a chemical, barium acetate, from her high school Chemistry class in the take out mexican food she was microwaving for him. They were on their way to evening church and he was taking a quick shower before dinner. She mixed the chemical in his refried beans and watched him as he ate. She ran next door for help after he began to writhe in pain. The paramedics came, he was taken to the hospital and died quickly of unknown causes. She knew the chemical was untraceable. She was an A student.

It was several years later when she was in college that she confessed her crime to her best friend. She had been reading Hamlet and I guess she couldn't keep the secret of her fathers' murder in any longer. Her friend contacted the authorities and the rest is history. A trial ensued, she was found guilty and sent to prison.

There's much more to the story...My point in writing about it is that when the film Avatar came to an end, my friend turned to me and said "I felt both my brother and your mothers presence with us in the film." I had the very same thoughts, and she expressed them. I think of my mother often. Her death will be a year this month. My friend lost her brother 17 years ago. I'm not sure why we each felt the same presence and feelings but it was comforting to both of us.

P.S. I discovered today that my friends' brother and my mother died on the same day, February 18th

No comments: