Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pink Lady

My brothers' long time girlfriend has breast cancer. They've been living together for years. She was just diagnosed before Thanksgiving and has had three surgeries, one a mastectomy, in less than a month. She is in shock and she's scared. She's "afraid to die" she told me. Who isn't? It's right in her face, front and center. She's getting ready for radiation and chemo along with loosing her hair, and adjusting to having one breast. Quite a difficult adjustment and a lot to grieve over.

She told me she has always been the strong one, the one to give advice and that she's not good at receiving. It's hard to be vulnerable and now she's without a choice about it. Something new to learn, to let people be there for you.
Some part of her was able to conjure up a sense of humor amid her fear of dying. She had a large pink florescent sparkling Christmas tree in her den. She said she was "getting ready."

She's hard working and has had a successful career. She's Vice President of a large corporation and is well respected. Her career has been a large part of her life. Now, that she's been broadsided by a life threatening diagnosis, I think her priorities have shifted. Having our health and people we love (and who love us) around is what matters most.

I think of her daily and I pray for her healing. She has a tough journey ahead. She joins the many women who have gone before her. I told her the three women I know who were diagnosed have survived.
I think she will learn how truly strong she is through all of this and just exactly what she is made of. We'll be there for her while she does. HOLD YOUR SPACE

No comments: