Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Like a Bird Set Free

I will never forget this day, I don't remember what day it was, only what happened. I was having a hectic "hair on fire" day at work, when my former mother in law called. She is my children's grandmother. We have remained close although her son and I divorced long ago. She asked "Have you read the paper?" Odd question, I thought. "No, I have been busy at work, I've hardly stopped to catch my breath". "Why?"I asked. She said, "Go and read the Obituaries. Blank Blank is dead." (the abusive man I had divorced 2 months prior) " WHAT???" I said. I don't even remember saying goodbye to her or hanging up the phone. I hurried down the hall with my head in a dizzy spin, looking for the days newspaper. I found a paper and quickly turned to the Obits. There it was in black and white, the newsprint of daily life for all the world to see. He was dead. I had no idea why.
I immediately went to my computer and began to look online. I discovered the cause of death. He had failed to negotiate a turn and ran his snowmobile into a tree. There were people with him who tried to revive him at the scene. He died on impact of trauma and massive head injuries. The article said several deaths had occurred in the same area that winter. They speculated excessive speed was involved. There it was. My life had changed. He could never hurt me or come after me again. My sense of relief was overwhelming, Like a Bird Set Free. I would never to have to look over my shoulder again.

No comments: