Sunday, October 26, 2008

Balance and Perspective

I just had a great conversation with a good friend who is dating a new man. She has seen him 5 out of the 5 days she has known him. I thought Uh Oh...She told me she is dog tired. A couple of times she wanted to say no when he asked her out, but didn't. Uh Oh...It's great to be in a new relationship with all of the Big Love Buzz and excitement going on. Caught up in the "is he the one?" And...enjoying the finding out.
We talked about Balance and Perspective being of the utmost importance here. I didn't want to throw a wet blanket on her fun or rain on her parade. She knows these things. I thought I did, too. I was wrong. My feet were totally off the ground and my brain took a vacation. I learned the very hard way.
I married the Dead Ex Husband just a few months after we met. I didn't have good boundaries at all! He put the big rush on me and I loved it, fully in the whirlwind spin. I was all caught up in the fun and lost my Balance and Perspective totally and completely. I didn't know the meaning of HOLD YOUR SPACE. I needed to take the time to get to know who he really was without the glow and the newness of the courting and dating. If I am really being honest with myself, I liked the attention. I got off on how into me he was. I now realize I lost my perspective because he was so crazy about me. (Crazy being the truth) Balance was gone because I stopped seeing my family and girlfriends to spend an exorbitant amount of time with him. Big mistake. Your family and girlfriends will tell you the truth about what they see happening. They will also be there for you if it all falls apart. The most important thing is they love you. They are no flash in the pan. They have history with you and will remain a part of your life.
I know I am being protective of her. I see it all from the lens of my experience and I want only the very best for her. Balance and Perspective; something I didn't have.

No comments: