Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Scorpion and The Turtle

There was a scorpion drowning in a swift flowing river. The torrential rains had swept him off the bank and carried him downstream. A turtle went swimming by, barely effected by the strong currents. The scorpion called out "Help me! Help me! Please help me! If you don't surely I will drown" The turtle swam over cautiously and said. "I would help you, but if I do you will sting me and I will die." "Oh no! I will not hurt you," the scorpion pleaded, "just let me climb on your back, take me to land and I will climb off, ever so grateful to you for saving me."
The turtle thought about it, and against his better judgement said cautiously, "OK, climb on." The turtle swam across the river amid stormy waters to the safety of the bank and said "Here we are." As the scorpion began to climb off the back of the turtle, he swiftly stung him with his poisonous venom. The turtle recoiled in pain, stunned and shocked by the the scorpions' sting. The turtle shouted "WHY WHY would you do such a thing? I saved you from perishing!" The scorpion climbed off the turtles' back, and said as he parted, "I'm a scorpion and that's what I do."

Often when we begin a new relationship, all the information we need is there. Against our better judgement, we sometimes proceed anyway and then wonder in amazement why it didn't work.

No comments: