Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cat Like Reflexes

When I was going through a divorce (from the abusive dead ex husband) I learned about having "cat like" reflexes. I learned to change my position in a nan0second! He was highly intelligent, wealthy, an addict and usually one step ahead of me. I sought counseling at a domestic violence center to learn how to best protect myself. I wanted to learn to think (somewhat) like he did just to stay ahead of him and to survive. I was told I needed a plan. The group included women who had shot and killed their husbands in self defense. One was in jail, awaiting trial. It seemed like an out of body experience to be one of the members. They helped me to learn to anticipate his next move and how to avoid becoming entrapped. They passed on wisdom from their hard earned experiences and I am thankful I met them and learned from them. I was told two of the previous members had changed their names and moved to another state to escape the wrath of their abuser. Seemed kind of like the witness protection program, only they made up their own program. They stayed in contact with some of the group as they started their life over with a new name and identity.
I had just moved to a new address when he assaulted me. I pressed charges against him. The police investigator told me, "Lady you need to move somewhere with 24 hour security and cameras. This guy can get in where most people can't". The post office had given him my new address. As luck would have it, I was presented an opportunity to go to Canada. I jumped at the chance, let my lease go, and was gone for three months. The time away was a blessing, I felt safe and I could rest. It helped me to get stronger, to regroup and get a plan.

No comments: