Sunday, February 15, 2009

Death is Certain

My mother is dying. I am so sad to loose her. She has been such an inspiration and has given us (my two sisters, brother and my father, her husband of 61 years) so many gifts from her heart. She has been there for us all through thick and thin. She never complained and always was there to help us. I know she will be out of pain when she leaves her body and is free of its limitations. It is in these final moments of her life I feel a fear I didn't know I had. I know she will pass to the other side and her spirit will return to its resting place. She can soar from being crippled by her lengthy illness.
I'm not sure just what my fear is about. Is it fear for her in her passing? Will she be OK? Is it my own fear of dying? Is it fear of going on without her here? Life is changing and I'm doing my best to let her go. Is it that I can't go to see her or call her and ever hear her voice again? I know the strong person who brought me into the world is leaving it.
A close friend of mine told me you never really grow up until your parents pass away. She told me years ago how lucky I have been to have them both alive. She also told me to spend as much time with them as I could. I am grateful to her for this because she gave me such a gift. It seems so obvious yet I was busy with my life going and doing and might not have taken the time I did to spend with my mother. I pass my friends wisdom on to anyone who reads this. Now, in the last hours of my mothers life I know I spent good time with her. She knows I love her. It is because of my friends wisdom I had those valuable moments.
Life is Fragile and Death is Certain. I HOLD MY SPACE in a place of prayer for my mother. I ask God to take her in his arms and to help us all to let go of the sweetest one we love. I trust she is safe and will be on the wings of angels.

No comments: