Monday, January 3, 2011

Addiction the Master

Addiction the Master... You the Slave
Like any person or obsessive object of our affection (cigarettes, drugs, sex, relationships, food, alcohol, gambling, shopping, shoes, clothes, oh..and work) We can become a slave to our desires. Therein lies our potential downfall.
I've learned, mostly the hard way, it's all a distraction. Just a way to avoid dealing with the real problem, me. At times, I have been obsessive and feeling crazy over things that were completely out of my control. The one and ONLY thing I can change is me. Addictions distract us from the one thing we actually have some power over. Change is tough, and it can be grueling as we begin to face our demons. Pain is usually a good motivator for change. For me, when the pain becomes great enough, somehow I change. When we get to the point when we say "uncle" we're usually on our way.
Nothing outside us is really going to make us happy anyway. It's transient. I know now it's an inside job. Plain and simple, obsession and addiction are a matter of  low self value. It's a quest to find that "quick fix" to make everything OK. I've taken the short cut, the easy way, to feel better without even realizing it. I thought it was love, ( needy love) anything to avoid dealing with me.
                                 HOLD YOUR SPACE
Love Addiction can enslave us unless we wake up and get some self discipline working for us. Prayer sure helps too. Cut to the chase. We must learn to love ourselves first and then we can give it away.  The loving relationship that begins with you is what truly matters.

No comments: